Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Freezing Weather (1985)

(1985) Dry Bones cartoon: Inflation, Freezing Weather, the Ethiopians, Lebanon, and the Bank Shares crisis.
Today's Golden Oldie is a Dry Bones cartoon done 25 years ago in January 1985.

Back then, we in Israel were treated to television coverage of freezing weather hitting Europe as we basked here in our lovely local weather. The news today, 25 years later, is that both Europe and much of the United States are in the grip of freezing weather ...and yes, it was a lovely, balmy day outside my front door.

* * *

Note: Back in '85 I was doing Dry Bones for an English-speaking Israeli audience. That meant that I could play with our Hebrew-polluted version of English. In Hebrew slang, the word for a "screw-up" is a "fashla". So in the next-to-last panel of this cartoon I did NOT make a typo. I did NOT mean to say Ethiopian Falashas, but was making a cross language "almost pun" joke. The off-screen member of the public shouting at King Solomon on his balcony was referring to the government's screw-ups in the rescuing of Ethiopian Jewry. Our Ethiopian "fashlas".

Oh and if I were speaking to another Israeli in English I'd never say "balcony". The correct word in our local pidgin English is "mirpesset".

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,